For the last couple of weeks winter has taken a new, tight grip on Sweden with cold icy winds and night temperatures down to minus 20°C. Thus a perfect opportunity to check what’s actually in the freezer, clean and defrost it while the food can still keep cold outside on the balcony.
Was I amazed at what I found in there on the shelves? Yes, to say the least. Since long forgotten lunch boxes that could almost walk out of the freezer on its own, tiny bags of “handy-stuff” left overs as grated cheese, herbs, slices of frostbitten bread, a hot dog, a salmon, a bag of chicken drumsticks and last but not least lots and lots of berries; blueberries, strawberries, cloudberries, lingonberries, cranberries and raspberries. I pick and pick and fill the freezer up but can never bring myself to make something out of all those berries because I never know if I will find new ones next summer.
It is a quick fix to thaw a salmon fillet, so I decided to let that one become the backbone of the dinner together with shallots, capers and beets that I found in the fridge. And for dessert some of those strawberries with vanilla quark and crumbled Finn crisp.
Salmon and beetroot patties with parsley crème (Salmon à la Lindstrom)
- 600 grams of salmon fillet
- 3 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 ml finely diced pickled beets
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the salmon fillet into smaller pieces and run in the food processor.
- Mix with remaining ingredients and season.
- Fry a piece of the mixture and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Shape into hamburger-sized patties and fry for a few minutes on each side.
- 100-200 ml finely chopped pickled cucumber
- 1 bunch finely chopped parsley
- 200 ml crème fraîche or quark
Mix all ingredients into a sauce and serve with salmon patties and a salad of kidney beans, broccoli and spinach and you will have a delicious and healthy meal rich in omega-3, iron and calcium.
Strawberries with vanilla quark and Finn crisp crumbles
- Fresh or frozen (but thawed) strawberries, sliced
- 400 ml vanilla flavoured quark
- 15 pieces of Finn crisp
- A handful of roasted and coarsely chopped hazelnuts or almonds.
- Crack the finn crisp in pieces and put in a plastic bag. Crush them finely with a rolling-pin and mix with the chopped hazelnuts.
- Open the cabinet door and take out those beautiful glasses you inherited from Grandma but never use.
- Layer the ingredients starting with crumbles, strawberries, quark and then start all over again.
- Top with strawberries.